This post, 10 Must-Have Items for Pregnancy, contains affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
These are the top 10 items for pregnancy that I would recommend. I’ve had three pregnancies – all so very different – and am not a motherhood or pregnancy expert, but I do love to share things that worked for me. This post was originally written when I was pregnant with my second child, but I’ve added to it since having twins. If you enjoy this post, please share it on Twitter and tag us so we know it helped. Once you read through to the end, leave a comment about what item you found a must-have while pregnant.
Ten Must-Have Items for Pregnancy
1. Preggie Pop Drops – These drops were a lifesaver to me during both pregnancies as I suffered from severe and constant nausea. They were easy to carry around in my bag or pocket and actually had a good taste. The raspberry (red) was my favorite. Personally, I picked these up at Motherhood Maternity, but you can get them on Amazon and not even have to leave the house.
2. Comfy T-Shirt Any t-shirt would’ve done, but my favorite would have to be this extra soft sleepish shirt, again from Motherhood. As you can see, I was wearing it on my way to the hospital to deliver Evan. I only wore a few maternity pieces while pregnant with Ari, so it was nice to have a few things I really loved this time around.
When I got pregnant with the twins, I was a completely different size + I was pregnant for what seemed like the longest winter ever but comfy t-shirts were still a must.
3. Jeans, Dress Pants – Most people are really comfortable in maternity yoga pants, but for me it was the Secret Fit Jeans and dress pants from Motherhood. I rotated two jeans and 3 dress pants through my wardrobe of hand-me-down maternity shirts and frankly felt even more comfy than I felt in sweats, running pants, or yoga attire. This one particular pair even made my “shelf” look smaller, win!
With the twins, I lived in those yoga pants and leggings that I found less comfy in when pregnant four years before. I highly recommend these from Motherhood Maternity (but available on Amazon)…you’ll never want to get out of them! Remember, every pregnancy is different! You might feel just fine in jeans with one baby and it might be a NO WAY with others.
4. Tummy Sleeve – With Arianna, I was so sick that I actually lost about 20 pounds while pregnant with her, so I stayed in regular jeans and wore this sleeve nights when I felt the zipper was just too tight. This also helped when I was pregnant with the twins – my legs and bottom still fit my skinny jeans, but once that belly popped I needed extra help in the tummy area.
5. Zofran or Ginger – Without my prescription for Zofran (for nausea), I would never have been able to function in my pregnancy with Evan. I WAS SO SICK. While I am not the first person to jump on a medicine bandwagon, this teeny pill really helped me get through my days. Getting rid of the nausea was key. Phew. (I know now that this might not be one of those items for pregnancy that everyone agrees with, but it’s what worked for me.)
With the twins, I had found a love for essential oils and relied on ginger to help with the tummy troubles (that weren’t really that bad with these two). Whether I was diffusing it or snacking on it, I found a quick calm.
6. Craving Foods – I didn’t really have cravings (except that one night I really, really wanted chicken, waffles, and gravy with Evan and a can of coke with Arianna…okay and ice cream with the twins). Frankly, I couldn’t really eat or drink with my first two pregnancies. Water was extremely heavy on my weak stomach, and I was in the hospital on IVs several times for dehydration. Popsicles became my nutrition of choice in both of those pregnancies. Either way, you always should have foods you’re craving prepped and ready!
7. Exercise – Some form of exercise got me through each pregnancy:
- Line-dancing: While pregnant with Arianna, I line danced almost every Friday and Saturday night. That might be why I lost the weight like I did!
- Swimming: This was my way of exercise when the summer days were way too hot to walk. It felt so nice to just lay back and let the water support my body. A few weeks before I had Evan, I even got to swim while we were on a visit to Oglebay. My tummy was so heavy with Evan that it felt amazing. Nothing else could relax me like this!
- Walking: Even though it made me so mad, I walked a lot with the twins. At that point, I’d become a runner but was not allowed to run with them because 30+ and pregnant with twins = high risk. I walked a race and got first place for my age group with the start of my baby belly at about 18 weeks, too!
8. Contraction Calculator App – My contractions with Evan started 3 weeks (almost to the minute) before I had Evan. Yay for smartphones because this way, Greg didn’t have to worry about keeping track.
9. A good body pillow – With the first two, I relied on Boppy’s Total Body Pillow Love my husband dearly, but he is not exactly pillow shaped. 🙂 This body pillow helped me through the sleepless nights, giving tired legs and feet a well deserved break.
With the twins, it was the Twin-Z Pillow because I knew it would come in handy later down the road while nursing them. Oh, was I right!
10. Friends and Family Through both of my pregnancies, there was nothing more important than my friends and family! I always had someone I could lean on and complain to. 🙂 Thanks!
*Bonus!* One more app I found really useful was the ‘Pregnancy and Medicine Safety’ app on my Droid. There wasn’t much I could take to help out with the sinus issues, colds, and random issues I encountered while pregnant, but this little app saved a call or trip to the doctor.