Sunday had me on an OCD kick. The fridge needed a spring cleaning, and wouldn’t you know, when things are organized, they sometimes take up more space than they did before. So, we found ourselves in need of making some yummy food to make space. (By the way, if you’ve ever seen our fridge, I am sure you are shaking your head wondering how in the world we could ever run out of space, but it’s very easy.)
Thus commenced the egg casserole experiment! My dad is known among every church he’s ever preached at for his breakfast casserole. Don’t get me wrong, it is ahhh-mazing…but I couldn’t tempt the amount of calories or have the space/patience to wait overnight for the good soak it truly requires. Instead, I attempted one of my own, and I have to say, it was light, fluffly, and nutritious. Can’t go wrong with that!
Here’s our recipe, I wish I had the nutrition information, but I know it was within my 400-500 calories for a lunch, so win.
Light n’ Fluffy Egg Casserole (by ‘lil Burghers)
8 x 8 baking pan, sprayed with cooking spray
6 eggs worth of Egg Beaters
1/4 cup cheddar cheese plus 1/8 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
5 pieces of turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 whole wheat dinner rolls, torn into “bits”
Various Veggies (we used broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, celery, and cauliflower), cut into tiny bits
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the extra 1/8 cup of cheddar. Stir so everything is well coated.
3. Pour into the baking dish, and top with the rest of the cheddar.
4. Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes. You really just have to watch and see when it is nice and fluffy and “brownish” on top…you don’t want uncooked eggs!
5. Top with some Tabasco (or ketchup) and enjoy!