Carbon Monoxide Detector (and our plan)

(*articles may contain affiliate links*)  I was in a dead sleep, dreaming the night away, when Greg shook me and told me I had to get up. Our carbon monoxide detector was beeping. (Didn’t we have a plan?)

PRO TIP: Before you read further, think about your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Do you have them? Are they in working order? If not, stop reading and get yourself a carbon monoxide detector then come back over here and read what happened to us. 

(We didn’t have a plan.) Being the gen-x’ers-on-the-millenial-border we are, we Google’d the obvious. We needed to get out and call 911.

Thank goodness we have a Carbon Monoxide Detector.

It took us an incredibly longer than I like to admit time for me to scoop up the babies and wake the big kids while Greg grabbed the dogs and car seats. I got the kids out, but didn’t know where Greg was, so I started to shake and cry, yelling into the back and front doors while my four kids sat on our porch in the middle of the night. Arianna finally spotted him, bringing our van to the front of the house (from our detached garage). Lesson 1? Have a plan and practice it. Time ourselves and get better at it. Have keys handy!

I got 911 on the phone (the 3rd time in my life to call) and somehow calmly explained / answered their questions. The fire whistle blew and the kids started to ask questions. Greg had them all buckled in and drove them out of the way of the trucks.

After what felt like forever (but was really only 4 minutes), two members of the fire department arrived. What irked me was that none of the houses on our street have really clearly marked house numbers. Greg was waving wildly and I was so glad it wasn’t a medical emergency. Lesson 2? Get bigger, bolder house numbers.

The fire truck arrived and after everyone geared up, they went in to detect the issue. It warranted enough of a check to call the gas company and for us to remain outside. I stayed in the van with the kids…running the van in the heat of the night. (Looking back, now I’m wondering if that’s what I really should have done, seeing that we were outside due to carbon monoxide and all…)

After almost three hours, the teams determined it was okay to go back in; however, they turned off the gas to our boiler and had us put in a service call for it. Turns out, the boiler is old (hello, so’s this house) and needs replaced before winter.

The good news is that we are safe, and none of us were impacted by the silent killer that is carbon monoxide. The bad news is that boilers are not current technologies and won’t be exactly covered under our home warranty (sigh). Again, the good news is that we are safe and that we’ve learned our lessons.

We need a plan, and so do you. Let this be your lesson to know what to do when the alarms go off in your house (or get yourself a carbon monoxide detector if you don’t have one – we suggest this (via our affiliate link) combination smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector with voice command). Most of all, have a plan on how you’ll get everyone out, stay out, and do it fast.

So, what’s your plan?

(My plan the next day was to enjoy a late, fruity breakfast. I vague posted about it on Instagram, now here is the whole story!)

Bzz! If you need tips on what to do to create your plan, check out these room-by-room tips on SafeBee.com (from UL – the safety people!).

This entry was posted in About Us, MondayMomfession, Parenting and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Carbon Monoxide Detector (and our plan)

  1. Pingback: Things I Googled in 2016 - 'lil Burghers'lil Burghers

  2. Pingback: Blogger Bash NYC 2017 - 'lil Burghers'lil Burghers

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *