A Day in the Park

Blog posts on this site may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through links I provide (at no extra cost to you). Read my full disclosure and privacy policy here.

Sharing is caring!

Tote, pump, and keys in hand, I was ready to get out of the office for the first time before 6:00 all week (ok, how much does 5:45 really count?). I hit the stairs and realized quickly that I needed my sunglasses, so I dug in my tote to find them. Each step got me closer to temporary freedom. The second I popped the front door open, I remembered that my three inner layers plus my jacket were completely unnecessary, so off came the jacket. The warm sun felt so amazing.

I turned on the truck and kicked the sunroof back as far as it would go. Forget the radio, I needed me some good southern memories mixed with a tiny Irish feel–a little bit of Eric Church and my favorite song, Sinners Like Me. Up the volume went and out of the lot I turned. Mama was on a mission!

It was less than 3 miles, but that drive felt like forever. I turned into the far lot, jumped out of the truck, and ran to my waiting 2 year old. She was in her “house”, cooking something up with mulch. I snuck up behind her, and hearing her yell “Mama!” beat out every other moment in my day.

Kisses for the husband and a nose to nose rub for baby boy, then it was back to playing with A. Up and down the stairs she went, “You are so brave little girl!”. Back up the stairs, through the tunnel, and then waiting her turn for the slide (who taught her that?). “I will meet you at the bottom, baby!” That hair child, that hair. It is amazing how it sticks to the slide tube.

As we ran under the stairs, it was time for another kiss for E, but only a brief one before she started yelling, “I want the triangles!”. Little did I know she was ready to hang on the “zip line”, with my help of course. I was even more unprepared when she asked for the “bigger triangles”, the chain-style monkey bars.

There was time enough to stop and smell the freshness of the outside, but not before A decided to start chasing a little boy around. (“We are in so much trouble”, I thought.) It was back to the “house” to cook some more, then up on the shark to

Trying to live healthy, I knew I needed a walk but there was no convincing A. She pushed Daddy and E in the stroller for a little bit before becoming distracted by the pond and big kid slides. E and I made three more laps without them, and it felt so good to feel that wind on my face. We went back to watch her lose her mind over the swings (she loves to ask to swing, but hates to actually swing) and then get dizzy on the merry-go-round while yelling, “hey boyssssss!”. (Seriously, we are in trouble.)

While I didn’t want the day to end, the sun was quickly going down and we still needed dinner. It was time to say goodbye to the park, but not for long. We will be back.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.